Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Taking my friend shopping tomorrow for his first gun and need some advice...


So a friend of mine just got his concealed carry permit and is planning on buying a pistol. This will be the very first gun he has ever owned in his entire life, and he has very limited gun knowledge(as in probably only shooting one once or twice in his entire life years and years ago).This pistol will primarily be used for target shooting, and also home defense, and vehicle defense ( he works as a P.I. and does some infidelity cases where a spouse caught cheating could get very angry)He initially started sending me pictures of a P938 and I told him to stay away from that for now and start with something at the very least Glock 19 sized or bigger. I used to work at a gun shop and am used to helping people out, but this is where it gets really tricky...About a year ago before he became a P.I., he was thinking of being a corrections officer. I guess they have you do some test where you load and unload a pistol or something and he didn't want to be the only guy who hadn't done it before...I happened to have my Glock 19 on body so I unloaded it, told him the 4 rules of firearm safety, and I let him practice loading bullets into the mag and stuff like that but I DID NOT let him chamber a round.What really concerns me though, is in the 3-4 minutes he was handling my unloaded Glock and practicing putting the empty mag in and stuff...HE PUT HIS FINGER ON THE TRIGGER TWICE and thats just when I noticed!!! I made sure to be stern with him and tell him that was a huge no-no and thats how negligent discharges happenWhat sucks now is he's sending me all these pictures of striker fired guns with no safeties and fairly light triggers (P320,G19,VP9) but he has terrible trigger discipline. I don't want to be a dick and tell him to not get a gun that he likes, but I am honestly fearing for his safety. I feel he should start with like a GP100 or 686, or even like an SR9 with the safety,mag disconnect, and huge obnoxious loaded chamber indicator.I know the best safety is in between your ears, in fact I refuse to carry a gun that has a manual safety on it, however my friends trigger discipline/gun experience is horrible and I feel reckless recommending something with a trigger as light as p320.I don't plan on going shooting with him until he has taken the mandated 8 hour training course, and also some other training without incident.So what do you guys think? Let him get a striker fired gun with no manual safety and just drill him hard on the 4 rules? or sway him to something more forgiving??!?!P.S. ( I feel dumb even typing this because I know gun handling skills are paramount and if you are cautious you'll never need a safety or heavy double action pull) via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2fABHZR

No comments:

Post a Comment