Monday, November 28, 2016

Gun-shy girlfriend saw the benefits in action to the question "do you really need to bring your gun?"


I carry almost everywhere permitted, even to the mailbox and back, or running out to the car really quick to grab something. My new girlfriend hasn't had much exposure to guns, and has a bad history with them (was present during an active shooter in high-school, a couple friends were killed unfortunately). She respects my hobby/lifestyle, and isn't necessarily anti-gun but just feels uneasy around them because of the ignorance, which is understandable.I live in an older apartment complex that accepts Section 8 / Low Credit and such, but didn't realize this fully until living here for about a week. Drug deals in plain view, cops in the parking lot often, etc, etc.So, the girlfriend and I were just getting home from a camping trip. We just unloaded the car, and were walking back up to my apartment when I heard loud yelling getting closer, coming from around the backside of the building. Suddenly, this guy who lives there comes around the corner, loudly freaking out on the phone with his girlfriend about being depressed all while yelling to one of the neighbors next to my apartment talking about money she owes him and stuff. He's visibily crying, stomping around loudly, talking to his girlfriend on the phone about killing himself, which I assume is because of money that my other neighbor owes him? 5-10 seconds in, I noticed a gun in his waistband that he was actively grabbing at during all of this, which instantly made me stop and think about what was in my hands in the moment.We stopped walking, I placed myself infront of my girlfriend, and just watched to see what he was doing. I handed the stuff in my hands to my girlfriend to free myself up, and then we continued to walk to my apartment while I watched him. Nothing happened after that, and he must have gone back to his apartment right after because the yelling stopped.It's a very mild scenario I guess, even harder to picture it, but it was my first interaction with someone visibly and obviously looking to use a gun, either on themselves or my neighbor who owes him money. That night, my girlfriend mentioned to me that it made her realize why a gun itself is not the issue, but the person behind the gun is. She said that me being armed at the time gave her a sense of comfort, to which it should, and had I not been armed she would have certainly freaked out.It was a proud boyfriend/gun owner moment, thought it was worth sharing. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2fFtAGX

No comments:

Post a Comment