Friday, November 25, 2016

I'm torn


I had a conversation with a relative yesterday. She's never owned a firearm before. She's living in a small, rural, city (population approximately 15K) in the Pacific Northwest. "Neighborhood Scout" gives this city a crime index of 25 (i.e. "safer than 25% of the cities in the U.S.).She expressed the desire to acquire a handgun for personal/home defense because ... of people who drive 4wd pickup trucks and display the confederate flag.On one hand I applaud her interest in taking responsibility for her own self defense.On the other hand, her reasoning is (IMO) somewhat flawed and inconsistent. I'd have been more comfortable had her stated reason been:a "high crime rate", ormy self defense is my responsibility, or...Also, she lived for many years in a far more risky area (crime index 4), without feeling the need for a personal/home defense weapon.Finally, she's a hard-core lefty with whom I've had many disagreements. A year ago we spent a very contentious two hours discussing gun rights.IMO she's reacting out of fear due (in part) to Trump's election and her perception than the pickup-driving/confederate-flag-carrying folk are/will-be emboldened.I suppose I ought to suck it up and give her what advice I can. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2fN6kaI

No comments:

Post a Comment