Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Kick in the Nuts/Testicles - When is it effective?

First, a personal account:

When I played soccer* as a teenager occasionally I got hit with a ball in my groin. While it did hurt, I wouldn't say that it would hinder me when something big is at stake, like me going to jail or getting injured. I didn't even have to go to the ground.

I think a lot of people have getting hit in the groin sometime or another and would attest to it being very painful, but they don't consider it in a fight situation where you suck up the pain. (I was never in a real fight, too though.)

In one karate lesson, I got a kick in what I think was the spleen, because it was my left side. It might have been something else, though, somewhere on my stomach. In this case there was a short pain, my body cramped together and I couldn't breath for what seemed like a while (maybe ten seconds?). I rested a while on the side and then continued training without lasting damage.


Why do many people recommend kicking in the nuts, when it didn't have much effect on me when getting hit with a ball?

My own answer: Maybe it's got to do with the angle? A ball more or less comes from the front and a kick to the testicles should come from underneath?

Because I read that the real pain comes from the organs above the groin area being affected. And the result from getting kicked in my spleen (or liver?) seems similar to what people describe what a kick in the testicles supposedly feels like.


Here is a comment in a blog recommending against grabbing the testicles of an attacker, that lists cases where it didn't work.

Some people can swallow things that other people can't. Here is a blog post about "fighting dirty". The point is that for example eye gouges sometimes work and sometimes they don't.

In the video, above, you can see Yuki Nakai, a Japanese MMA fighter, continuing to fight against, and eventually submit, Gerard Gordeau, a Kyokushin karateka and Savate kickboxer, after being so severely eye gouged and stomped on that he was permanently blinded in one eye.

I guess Yuki Nakai is a trained fighter, that was mentally prepared to feel pain, what a man trying to rape a weaker woman might not be.

I think that kicking someone in the groin is viable, but it's not a magic "stop button" for men. You should kick as hard as you can and not stop after one attack. Put your hands in his face, kick his knees and so on.

If someone tries to rob you with a knife, give him your possessions, rather than relying on your groin kick.

What would a qualified self defense instructor recommend?


On a related note: Women find it funny when men are vulnerable at the balls. Aren't women vulnerable at the vagina, too? If you were attacked by a woman, should you try to kick her in the groin too?


*actually handball, but not the sport Americans understand as handball



Submitted November 30, 2016 at 07:46AM by JohannesWurst http://ift.tt/2gxVEOh

No comments:

Post a Comment