Sunday, November 20, 2016

Looking to get started, and I'd like some advice/input on everything.


First and foremost, I live in Florida. I know this is important for some laws and clarifications since some states have different laws regarding what you can and cannot carry.I've grown up around guns, and my father started taking me to the range since I was old enough to safely handle a handgun (I think it was sometime around my 8th or 9th birthday?). I like to think I have a fair amount of knowledge, but almost all of my experience is with long guns or full size handguns. So I have very little experience with the smaller compact guns that are typical for carry.I've taken the course already, and I've already booked my appointment to apply for early next month. I would like some input on what to buy.Ideally I'd like to stay as far under $400 as possible, preferably closer to $300 for the gun, and under $50 for a holster.So far I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the S&W Shield, but I also like a few others like the Glock 43 or the Ruger LC9. I'm looking for something with large aftermarket support, readily available magazines, and something thin. What does the general consensus agree on?I've also read through most, if not all of the FAQ, but I still have a bunch of questions. Some were addressed in the FAQ, but I'd like a more elaborate answer others are more personal.As a relatively skinny, toned guy; will it be easier or more difficult to conceal? Are there any methods of carry that I should not even look at because they would impossible with my body shape? Some that would be preferable?I also want to carry a large knife or two in addition to a gun, what types of carry should I look at for those? Ankle carry?I read what was on the FAQ about going on dates, but it seemed as if most people were joking around. How do you handle a first date? What about if things end up going to the bedroom? I've already had really awkward encounters carrying my pocket knives, I have no idea what I'd do about a gun. How do you bring it up in conversation? Generally I like to avoid things like politics on the first few dates, how do you go about this?How do you use public restrooms? Particularly using urinals? A big holster is kind of obvious. What about using stalls? How do you put the gun in a position where it can not only be hidden, but be difficult for someone to grab if they reach over?Should I carry am extra magazine? If so, how do you carry them?What type of ammo should I use? Hollow points are a given, but what brands are know to cycle the best?What do you do with your gun if you stay at a friend's house or go to someone's house who doesn't like guns, but doesn't know that you carry?Should I carry two guns? If so, how is the best way to do so?What do I do when I go to the range and want to fire the gun I'm carrying? What is the proper etiquette of pulling out a loaded firearm? Most ranges that I've been to all have rules against loaded firearms.What's the safest way to store the gun while still retaining fast access? I used to just leave a shotgun by my bedside, but now I live with some people who I know aren't capable of safely handling a firearm or are capable, but are completely terrified of them.What's the best way to threat access at night in your home? I don't want to worry about pointing the thing at a teenager sneaking in because he's past his curfew, but I also don't want to wait until it's too late.Am I missing anything?Thanks everyone! via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2gtmOsv

No comments:

Post a Comment