Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Going to carry for reals soon, working on the details.


I got my Ohio CCW a while ago, really good process and pleasant experience. However I haven't started carrying yet. To that end though, this week I made some progress. This post is just sort of a progress report and open invitation for your thoughts and advice. :)Reading through here has helped a lot, so a thanks to you guys.I got myself a basic safe off Amazon, with a code and backup key, so I'd have something nice and easy to put the gun-in-holster into at night and take out in the AM. I have other gun safes for long term storage and whatnot, but they were going to be a PITA for daily access. Keeping the gun away from the kids is a big concern, and having it ready/available for home defense is a low priority.I did figure after reading advice on here, I don't want to be handling a loaded gun every morning pre-coffee, holstering and unholstering and crap when I put it on / take it off. So, yeah, neat little swing door safe takes the gun in holster and has plenty of room for ammo.Needed a holster too. Got one. Picked up a DeSantis Insider IWB leather holster for my .380 bodyguard (with lassserbeam). Also got 7 snapcap faux-bullets so I could get used to having the weight of a loaded gun holstered up and actually on me, without it yet being live.Since I got these parts, I've been IWB carrying about 5 o'clock for the past few days at home (I work from home at the moment). It's surprisingly comfortable, and I think pretty well concealed. Definitely need to order a real CCW belt; will do next paycheck.Next thing is ammo. I have some half decent JHP I got from Cabela's, shoots ok, but isn't a brand I'd heard of. So I need to get some carry ammo and am curious what you think. Reading online, I see recommendations for Speer 90 grain Gold Dot JHP, Winchester 90 grain Defend, and Hornady Critical Defense 90 grain FTX. I am thinking I'll buy a few boxes of each over time and run through them at the range, see what works best, and just pick what I like.Thinking later today I'll be carrying when I go to the grocery, so that'll be my first time really going out with it on. That'll feel odd, I bet.What else should I be thinking of?edit When carrying, I plan to be 6+1 with the safety engaged. Releasing the safety with my draw is something I practice. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2gkgJMD

No comments:

Post a Comment