Monday, November 21, 2016

Scary Situation & A New Convert


Not sure if this is the right sub to post this, but I had an interesting experience this weekend and learned some things.First, some background about my situation. I've been shooting most of my life and carrying for around 5 years. However, my fiancee has been very afraid of firearms. She was adamant about not having any guns in the house, which actually led to a few bad fights. I tried to talk rationally with her and give her the usual arguments, but she was coming from a place of emotion. I wanted to respect her wishes, so I moved most of my firearms to my parent's house, except for my carry piece which I locked in the car. I think she was starting to come around slowly (for example, at first she would freak when she found out I was carrying in public. Then she asked me to carry when we went to rougher areas, etc). I started to think there was reason to hope.This weekend changed everything. When we were getting ready for bed on Saturday night, the alarm notification went off signaling one of the downstairs doors opened. It was a very scary situation thinking there was an intruder in the house. I had previously given it some thought about how I would react in this situation being unarmed and decided the only chance I had was to attack, not cower and wait. I'm built like a linebacker and have some fight training, but I was terrified going down those stairs without a weapon.I did a quick check and found the wind had blown open the door leading to the garage, which tripped the alarm. I came back upstairs and found my fiancee in tears. She was afraid of the intruder and scared I might get hurt or killed. It was a wake-up call for her and she asked me to go out to the car to get my gun and then give the house another check. Now she wants to keep the pistol in the house (mag not loaded, but baby steps).Some of the things I learned:-weapon mounted light is a must. I could not find my large flashlight when I went to search the house the 2nd time. I decided I need to keep a light on my gun. Searching for a good light and new holster today.-Adrenalin is a crazy thing. I was so terrified going down those steps in the dark with nothing in my hands. I remember a kind of tunnel vision and clear decision making. Since I was caught by surprise, I had a mouth full of mouthwash and remember thinking "act now, that's not the priority" so I swallowed it. It later took me close to an hour to stop shaking and then I got really sleepy.-Our 18 lb bichon was the biggest surprise. That cute little furball sensed something was wrong and dashed downstairs like a bat outta hell to attack. I'm a little ashamed to say, but I remember thinking "listen to his barks, if something happens to him you know". He was like my canary in the coal mine.Anyway, scary situation that ended up being a false alarm. I learned a few things about myself and now my fiancee is a convert. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2gdIkPr

No comments:

Post a Comment