Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Discussion about dogs


Because of the nature of this topic I want to make something very clear: I love animals. I grew up around animals, and have had them in my home my entire life. I never in my life want to shoot an animal (I don't even hunt). I absolutely do not advocate drawing and shooting a dog just because it is "legal". I am talking about a situation where my dog or I am going to sustain a serious injury from an unprovoked, attacking dogSo just about an hour ago I watched an unleashed dog run across the street and attack the leashed dog of a lady walking down the street. It didn't seem like there were any serious injuries, but it got me thinking.Obviously if a dog runs out and attacks a person, you would be justified in doing what you needed to do to stop it. But what about if a vicious dog runs out and attacks my dog while I'm on a walk with her? In the eyes of the law, a dog is property. So would this mean that unless the dog turns and starts attacking me that I wouldn't be justified? Or do the laws of use of deadly force apply differently when you are talking about using it on something other than a human?My thought process about it all goes a little something like this: * Other dog charges me and my dog, but is clearly going after my dog and not me. * The dogs start fighting (I wouldn't be drawing/shooting here, as they are just a twisted mass of angry dog flesh at this point)This is where I start questioning what to do next. Should I let loose a couple solid kicks to get the other dog off of mine? Obviously then if the dog turned on me I would be justified, but again, my dog probably isn't going to stand clear and let me get a shot off. Should I do my best to get my dog clear and take a shot if I have one? I don't really want to trust my ability to wrestle with a decently sized dog (the one I saw today was about 70 lbs for reference) but I don't want to stand there and watch my dog get injured either.Friends of r/CCW, what would your course of action be here? Or if there are any glaring mistakes in the way I thought it through please let me know. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2clRUwv

No comments:

Post a Comment