Monday, October 3, 2016

First time CCW - sanity check on my gear choices?


Throwaway because friends know my reddit username and I'd like to keep the fact that I'm carrying discreet.I applied and got fingerprinted for my CPL (Michigan) last week. The clerk said that I can expect a 2-3 week wait before I get my license in the mail. In the meantime, I've been researching firearms and other gear. I was hoping to bounce my choices and decision-making process off this sub to see if I've made any glaring errors. For background on myself, I'm quite comfortable with long guns but am a complete beginner to handguns.Gun - S&W M&P ShieldI want the following features in my firearm:9mmStriker-firedPolymer-framedI narrowed it down from there to a short list of:Glock 43Glock 26S&W M&P ShieldS&W M&P 9cI went to a range and rented each of the four guns and shot maybe a dozen rounds through each, at ranges of 10 feet and 21 feet. I found I liked the ergonomics of the S&Ws better than the Glocks. Between the 9c and the Shield, I definitely shot better with the 9c. It felt like I could simply point the gun and the bullets would go right where I wanted them too. When shooting the Shield, my grouping was consistently down and to the right. I found that the narrower grip meant I was pulling the trigger with the last joint of my finger, instead of the pad. Would this have resulted in this grouping? On the whole though, there was a less drastic difference between shooting a subcompact and compact than I expected.After thinking about it, I'm leaning towards the Shield. My reasoning is, I can practice to get better at shooting the Shield, but the 9c won't get any narrower or easier to carry. Is this a fair line of thought? I've read on here recommendations that newcomers buy a compact as their first gun to improve shooting fundamentals, and I know I'm kinda going against that advice.Holster - Crossbreed MinituckFrom my research, Crossbreed seemed like a good step up in quality (and price) from Alien Gear or other lower-end options, and I don't want to shell out the cash for a Stealthgear or higher-end holster right now. Crossbreed just seemed like a good middle ground option for a holster. Is this a fair assessment? Also, would the Minituck work for a Shield or should I go up to the Supertuck?Belt - Crossbreed Classic Gun BeltAt $60, this again seemed like a good middle option between cheapo belts and more expensive custom belts. Are Crossbreed belts worth the money?TL;DRS&W M&P Shield - more concealable, worse accuracy off-the-bat versus M&P 9c but I figure this can be remedied with practice.Crossbreed Minituck - good middle-line holsterCrossbreed Classic Gun Belt - again, a solid middle of the line optionIs the M&P Shield a good beginner carry gun? Does Crossbreed offer good value-for-money holsters and gun belts? via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2dUOKoa

No comments:

Post a Comment