Thursday, October 27, 2016

CCW Firearm Care Questions


While I've been around firearms my entire life (my dad is an avid shooter/gunsmith), I've never owned firearms myself until this summer, and there have been a few nagging questions lingering at the back of my mind. Most of the time, my CCW (HK VP9) is locked away in a bedside safe because I have kids, including a 4 yr old. I keep the gun loaded and ready to fire, and it's right next to me when we sleep at night. Because I can't carry @ work, the gun stays in the safe all day long also.What are some things I should be doing to care for the gun?I try to get out and shoot at the range at least every couple of weeks, and I clean it after range time. I read that I should clean the gun at least once a month, even if not used. So I can check that item off the list, unless there are resounding suggestions otherwise. Here are a few other questions:The gun is almost always loaded. It sits in the safe loaded, and I carry loaded. It just goes from the safe into my holster, then back into the safe again. Should I be racking the loaded round out each time I store the gun, just for the sake of cycling it to ensure everything is working properly? Do I need to worry about mag springs getting worn from having the constant load of a full mag? Should I be swapping out mags regularly?Any tips are appreciated! via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2eVGAbD

No comments:

Post a Comment