Monday, October 31, 2016

I'm getting pretty frustrated with "gun free zones".


Let me start off by saying I live in Michigan. I work in some pretty rough areas of Detroit. I work exclusively at schools, and have a couple clients that I visit weekly.One particular client has has a history of gun violence since I've started visiting. Just last year, a group of thugs tried to rob a guy across the street from the school, he was armed, and fired at them. They ran between buildings of the campus, two of them clearly carrying firearms (we pulled the footage).Last Monday, a gentleman was shot and killed sitting in his car before heading to work in the morning. This was a block (about 50 yards) away. Again, we saw his wife driving him to the hospital when we pulled the footage.There have been several break-ins in broad daylight in the parking lot over the years. They've since added security to patrol the lot.I could go on about the violence in and around this area, but you get the point. Due to Michigan concealed laws, I cannot carry my weapon into the school. Technically speaking, I probably shouldn't even leave it in a lock box in my car while I'm parked in the lot. Aside from the risk of it being stolen, Michigan only allows for parents to have the firearm in their vehicle "while picking up or dropping off their children". There isn't much precedent for that situation, so I'm sure leaving it in my vehicle could be argued. Michigan also allows for CCW permit holders to "open carry" in schools. I would never do this. One, I'm sure the school would immediately ask me not to, and two, it would cause instant panic.So basically what this post is, is me venting about following the law, but leaving myself vulnerable in an area where I need personal protection most. I've considered carrying anyway. Then, if anything ever happened, argue that I was open carrying and my jacket accidentally covered it or something. It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6, right?The shitty thing is, if there were options to apply for more permits that required extra background checks, additional training, etc. that then allowed me to carry in these so-called gun free zones, I'd totally pay whatever fee they wanted, and do it a heart beat. But I digress. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2eU1usi

No comments:

Post a Comment