Sunday, September 11, 2016

I rented/tested a Glock 19, Sig Sauer P320, H&K VP9, and a Walther PPQ. Thought I'd share my thoughts for those interested.


I have three pistols and they're all .45s. My carry piece is a Springfield XD-S .45 (3.3") and I love it. But I've wanted to get a 9mm and couldn't decide which would be best. First, I went to a store (Gander Mountain, to be specific...where I live has a gigantic selection) and held each of the weapons. Then I later went to my range and was able to rent all 4 and put 50 rounds through each. Here are my impressions:At the store, I held an H&K VP9 and it was absolutely incredible...it just felt like it was made to fit right into my hand and had beautiful trigger action (something I'd like to refine on my XD-S, by the way). But it's a little big for a carry piece. The Walther PPQ also felt like it was custom made for my hand, but the trigger didn't feel as slick as the VP9, even though it was good. The Sig P320 (Carry) felt top heavy, but overall nice. And I feel Sigs make great pistols. Both the P320 and PPQ felt OK to carry. Maybe I'm just used to my small XD-S. But I was actually OK with a larger pistol...I didn't want the Compact or Sub-Compact sizes in the P320, so I certainly had no problem with the size. The full size I don't think would be a good option for carrying...or at least EDC. And finally the Glock 19. I shot the shit out of the Glock 17 that was issued to me in Iraq (at least 5,000 rounds throughout my tour) and absolutely loved it (it was a wonderful upgrade from the M9 I was usually issued). The Glock 19, of course, is very similar, just a little smaller (shorter on the barrel I think...I believe grips are identical). But of all the pistols, the Glock felt the least comfortable in my hand.At the range, I rented each of them and shot 50 rounds through each at a series of targets from 7 meters.H&K VP9 -- this was the one I was most excited for. And actually, it ended up being the one I was disappointed in the most. I have fairly average sized hands, but it wasn't long before the comfort of simply holding the VP9 gave way to an uncomfortable shooting experience. It might just be me, but after awhile, the backstrap really started digging into my hand. I was not able to try a different backstrap, but for as nice as the trigger was, the gun just got more uncomfortable. And that was only 50 rounds. It was fairly accurate, and I shot with decent groupings but in the end, I was disappointed. And for the price (I think the VP9 is the most expensive of the 4 pistols), that would have been a major pisser to purchase this thing only to realize that it became uncomfortable to shoot. Again, maybe it's just my hand anatomy. Around $800.Walther PPQ -- This pistol probably felt the best out of all 4 both in terms of shooting and the trigger. It really was like butter. Just smooth, easy, comfortable, and all around impressive. I shot better groupings with this than the VP9. I didn't change anything about the way I shot. I think anyone considering purchasing a Walther PPQ 9MM would be very happy with their money spent. And I believe it's on average about $150 cheaper than the VP9.Sig Sauer P320 (Carry) -- It didn't feel as good as the PPQ, but much better than the VP9. I could have shot it all day. The trigger wasn't as smooth as the PPQ either, but in the end, I actually shot better, more consistent groupings with the P320 than any of the other pistols. The best way I can put it is like this -- with the P320, the bullets just went where I wanted them to. In the end, I think the P320 was the best overall shooting experience of the 4 pistols.Glock 19 -- It was the least comfortable to hold of all 4 pistols, but it never got uncomfortable like the VP9. Despite this however, the Glock shot amazing. I was splitting hairs trying to figure out which one I shot better with...the Glock 19 or P320. Anyone else looking at my targets could have come away with a different decision than me, but I think the P320 barely edged out the Glock 19. But ultimately, I felt the Glock 19 was an awesome pistol.So, I really struggled with which pistol to purchase. I was torn between the P320 and the Glock 19. For awhile, it seemed that I was going to go with the P320. I don't really care about (what I think is) the gimmickry of being able to swap out the internals into another frame and it's like having a whole different pistol. The P320 was solid, comfortable, and as I mentioned, more than the other 3 pistols, the bullets just went where I wanted them to.In the end, though, I've decided that I'm going to buy a Glock 19 next. I know, there are people who will roll their eyes and call me a fanboi, but it was a great pistol. So what made me end up choosing the Glock 19 over the Sig P320? Well, you might not like my reason, but I really like the notion of owning several high-capacity magazines...especially when they'd be compatible with so many other 9mm Glocks I know I'll end up purchasing at some point. Yes, I know Sig makes high-capacity mags, but I'd like to have a few 33-rounders that I know I can use with future Glock purchases (and if ever there's another ban, they may very likely push for banning certain gun parts, like high capacity magazines). Plus, I think Glock 19s are the most ubiquitous pistol in the US...it's just an all around good gun and it seems like no collection would be complete without one unless you're anti-Glock, which is fine...it's all personal preference.Hope this helps. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2c2pg2x

No comments:

Post a Comment