Saturday, July 7, 2018

Canadian on road trip in US with NH Pistol/Revolver License


NOTE: This is a throwaway account because I don't want any complications on either side of the border.I'm a Canadian with a current non-resident New Hampshire Pistol / Revolver License.I have previously possessed the Utah CFP but didn't renew it when they stopped allowing non-resident aliens a few years ago. This might have changed since that time - I haven't looked into it recently.In about a month, my family and I are going on a road trip through Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming and Idaho.I have seen and read through the previous post written for Canadians.I have been reading through your state laws trying to make sense of them and here's what I read each state's highlights as:Montana: My license is NOT honored. I will NOT be concealed carrying in Montana.Car Carry without License: Glove box, center console, lock box - all OK. As long as it's not under any clothing it's OK.Open Carry: Legal.Signs in a business do NOT have force of law. Must leave if asked.No duty to inform an officer.North Dakota: My license IS honored. I MAY be concealed carrying in North Dakota.Car Carry with License: OKOpen Carry: Legal because of my NH License.CCW in Restaurants that serve alcohol: OKSigns in a business do NOT have force of law. Must leave if asked.No duty to inform an officer.South Dakota: My license IS honored. I MAY be concealed carrying in South Dakota.Car Carry with License: OKOpen Carry: Legal because of my NH License.CCW in Restaurants that serve alcohol: OKSigns in a business do NOT have force of law. Must leave if asked.No duty to inform an officer.Wyoming: My license IS honored. I MAY be concealed carrying in Wyoming.Car Carry with License: OKOpen Carry: Legal.CCW in Restaurants that serve alcohol: OKSigns in a business DO have force of law. Must leave if asked.No duty to inform an officer.Idaho: My license IS honored. I MAY be concealed carrying in Idaho.Car Carry with License: OKOpen Carry: Legal.CCW in Restaurants that serve alcohol: OKSigns in a business do NOT have force of law. Must leave if asked.No duty to inform an officer.A few other things to add:I am already a member of CCW Safe.I will NOT be open carrying in any state.I will NOT be consuming alcohol or visiting any bar (51%) during this trip.I will be hyper aware of any off-limit locations: courthouses, schools, jails, sporting arenas, etc.I already have an approved ATF Form 6 NIA with my handgun and ammo listed.I will be carrying my Glock 19 AIWB with an Amarok Tactical Beta with claw and wedge.We have 2 separate lock boxes in the car where I can store the firearm and ammunition separate if required.I have a few questions:Because open carry is legal in every state I can CCW - even though I plan to be always fully concealed - if my firearm prints or briefly becomes visible, am I going to have a serious problem?Even though there's no duty by law to inform in any location I will be, should I give my license to an officer if he asks to see my ID?It looks like I'll be OK carrying in state and national parks in general, as long as I'm not in any official buildings - will there be obvious signs to help with that?What else am I missing?I'm hoping to have a smooth and safe trip - just wondering if there's any other advice any of you can give can give.Thanks! via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2uetZtd

No comments:

Post a Comment