Saturday, July 28, 2018

Finding my new carry gun Part 4 - Sig Sauer P229


First thing I noticed about the Sig Sauer P229 was that the hammer don't appear to rest on the firing pin. After a few dry fires to see if that would change, I loaded up a single round to mature sure it was ok. Bang it went but I was slightly surprised that the hammer rest maybe a quarter inch off the firing pin.Overall, I was really pleased with this gun. One of the things I look for are easy to use controls. The slide release, mag release, and decocker were all in a position that didn't require me to move my thumb to operate. I really liked how the decocker worked. There was a slight curve when you pressed down which worked naturally with my thumb's motion. I will say that since all the controls were practically in the same spot, I wasn't completely comfortable with where I had to rest my thumb when shooting. I did like how it felt in my hand though. The grip felt good and I liked how I could handle the recoil while holding it. I was able to get a good high and tight hold while getting a comfortable grip with my off hand as well.This is a DA/SA gun which is what I'm looking for. However, I'm not sure how much I like the first pull. Although I want a first pull that makes me be sure that I want to pull the trigger, which this gun definitely has, I don't like how I couldn't find the break in the first pull. In DA, there was a little but slack at first but then I still had to pull the trigger all the way back till the gun surprised me when it went off. It was like slogging through mud then taking a step into open space and stumbling forward. The SA was nicer. Very little slack and an obvious breaking point for when the gun was going to go off.Some other things were the sights and weight. The sights were night sights I believe and I like how easy I could pick the up when getting on target. As for the weight, I liked how it felt fully loaded. It was hefty but not uncomfortably heavy.As I said before, overall I'm really pleased with this gun and like it enough to put it high on my list. The few things I don't like wouldn't prohibit me for getting this wespon and using it a an EDC. My updated list is as follows:1.) H&K USP 92.) Sig Sauer P2293.) CZ P-074.) Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2LxUCoz

No comments:

Post a Comment