Sunday, July 29, 2018

Beginner carry fears and misconceptions.


I've had my CCW permit for a while, and I knew about guns even before getting my permit, and had handled different types in the past. Despite this, once I had bought my own and began carrying, I developed a few irrational fears. I've been reflecting lately on my experiences both as an EDCer and gun owner, and was wondering what other people's fears were as they began carrying, and how they got over their fears or misconceptions about guns.When I first went to buy my gun a couple of days after receiving my permit, I was afraid. I was afraid not of the gun, that fear came later; but of being judged. I went to two stores before buying. The first store was local, but due to city rules wouldn't let buyers rent and try before purchasing, and overpriced by close to a $100 on average, but browsing their inventory gave me an idea of what I possibly wanted (the debate was between the LC9S, Shield, and 380 LCP). Long story short I went to a different store and chose the LC9s after trying all 3. They were much more friendly at this place, but I still couldn't help but feel judged as they walked me through all the safety features of my newly purchased gun--I was an obvious newb.My irrational fears began to develope after getting home. I was afraid to load it, and then afraid to touch it. I was afraid it would spontaneously explode. I knew this was a stupid fear, but the first time I holstered it and walked outside was even worse. It felt big, and like it weighed a ton. I was clinging onto my shirt to prevent it from riding up over my gun. I wasn't afraid of printing. It took me a while before I was ok carrying with one in the chamber and the first time I did I was afraid it would randomly go off, and was even more afraid when it was time to unholster for storage.Now, it feels awkward not to carry, and worse when not chambered. Since then I've only ever had a paranoid fear while out once, when two fully tacted out cops walked into the store I was browsing. They were obviously just there to shop as well, but I felt incredibly guilty even though I knew I was doing nothing wrong. This was the only time I feared I was printing.Over time my fear about guns subsided with everyday use and handling. This isn't to imply I've become complacent with regards to my respect and safety when handling one, but my misgivings and the negative stigmata that I had from a liberal society were found to be completely unreasonable, as experience made clear.And this is how I believe society's fears should be dealt with.What were your fears, and how did you overcome them? via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2Amnkn4

No comments:

Post a Comment