Monday, August 29, 2016

My first CCW: Glock 43 or Springfield XDS? Or something else?


So I'm looking to get my Concealed Carry Permit in the next few months and, with that, I'm looking to get my first handgun. The first one that caught my eye was the Glock 43: It's small, a .9mm, reliable brand, etc. I fired it at the range and really liked it, too. But there were two things that I didn't care for:1: It only carries 6 rounds. I know that's likely all you'd ever need if, God forbid, you ever find yourself in a situation when you'd need to use your firearm. That said, 6 rounds just doesn't seem like a lot to me. Now, I know there's the whole discussion of, if you would need more than 6 rounds, should you really be sticking around in that situation? I get that. But 6 just seems like it's too few - am I wrong in this? Does anyone have any experience on this one way or the other?2: I don't like the only safety being on the trigger itself. Everything from all of the gun safety instructions I've had growing up makes me feel uneasy about that. I know that, in a life-or-death situation, the last thing you want to have happen is forget about a switch safety, or struggle to switch it off in time. But still, having the only thing keeping the gun from firing being on the trigger itself makes me, like I said, uneasy. Is this that big a deal? Has anyone had a problem with trigger safeties? Do I have nothing to worry about?Both of these concerns drew my attention to the Springfield XDS. It has a second safety on the grip and it can hold up to 8 rounds with an extended clip. I'm going out to my brother's place to shoot his XDS this weekend and, assuming I like it, I'm really leaning towards it. So, in addition to the questions above, I just want to ask the following:Is there an overwhelming reason to go with the Glock over the Springfield? Is there an overwhelming reason why I should avoid the Springfield? Is there a different, similarly priced, handgun that would be better than either of these that I had not considered (please explain why)? Any other light you'd like to shed on this would be appreciated.TL;DR: Is the Springfield XDS worth getting over the Glock 43 due to the extra rounds from an extended clip and the additional safety on the grip for the Springfield?Edit: Formatting via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2bwE2yj

No comments:

Post a Comment