Friday, June 22, 2018

Pulled over while carrying without permit


I live in ID, which is a constitutional carry state. I don't have a CCW but am in the process of applying for one.Got pulled over for the first time yesterday while carrying my G43. Had forgotten to turn on my headlights and Idaho State Police pulled me over at night.I tried my hardest to remember what I had read/watched here about LE encounters- stayed in vehicle, turned on my dome lights and hazards, turned off engine.Officer approached from the passenger side and asked me if I knew the headlights were off, then asked to see my license. I then informed the officer that "I do have a weapon on me right now". The officer asked me where it was, and I told her that it was on my right hip. She said to not reach for it and there would be no problem.I handed her my license and she called it into dispatch, then let me go without any ticket or anything. Throughout the encounter, the officer was very cordial and mentioned appreciating that I let her know about the firearm.All in all, I felt like things went pretty well. I always went back and forth about whether to inform (ID does not have duty to inform), but I think I'm glad I did. I could have rehearsed that line a bit better and maybe used a different word than "weapon".Any feedback on anything I should have done differently? via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2tfMkqb

No comments:

Post a Comment