Saturday, June 30, 2018

[Holsters and Belts] New guy. Have handgun, need holster and belt. Tell me why I'm wrong.


I've spent a few weeks lurking through this subreddit. Purchased a Walther PPS M2 to carry IWB at 3:30-4:00. Not interested in appendix carry. I'm 6'0", 160lbs. Typically wear athletic shorts, jeans, "normal" shorts with a belt. As you can tell from my choice of handgun, I'm putting emphasis on concealability and comfort. One of the useful parts of the CCW class I took was when a former Marine instructor said that, in a stress situation, you fall back to your most basic level of training. As such, I've spent my time since purchasing the gun practicing - don't want to carry without being what I consider an above average shooter. I shoot the gun decently well at this point.Concerning holsters. It seems like the consensus is that full Kydex is the only way. I'm mainly looking at the Vedder lighttuck and a Dara holster. Tell me your pros and cons. Dara seems to have a better belt clip, while the adjustability factor of the Vedder is quite nice. Is the clip on the lighttuck competent? Any other suggestions are appreciated.Concerning belts. I want a leather belt. I don't want to drop $100 on a Beltman right now. I'm just now getting into carrying. If I don't like it, I won't do it. So I don't want to go all out financially on a belt that, unlike a holster, doesn't give me a 30 day trial period. I do understand the importance of purchasing quality products in this case, don't want to give the wrong impression.My current belt plan is as follows. Pick up a less-than-perfect belt from Hank's as a starter, and see how carrying works out for me. I will likely purchase one without an internal stiffener - cost again. Now, my understanding is that a belt with no stiffener is fine, but will not last more than 6 months to a year. How correct is that? I figure that this timeframe is plenty of time for me to decide on whether I am comfortable with the idea of carrying. Once I make up my mind, I can go for a Beltman or stop carrying. I figure that a non stiffened leather belt will be fine in my case because 1) lightweight gun and 2) full awareness concerning longevity.So, am I wrong? Does this seem like a good plan? Any other holster recommendations or general new guy advice is appreciated. Thanks everyone.edit: pretty sure I screwed up the post flair. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2lHTdMB

No comments:

Post a Comment