Sunday, June 24, 2018

Finding a new carry gun Part 2 - The H&K USP 9


The second gun stop on my journey to a new carry gun is the H&K USP 9. I did like this gun and it would make my try again list for final contenders. I'm not the best shooter but I was getting consistent groups at 5 and 10 yards after I got in the groove. I liked how it felt in the hand and the balance was nice also. Although it was a polymer frame, it had a good weight loaded and unloaded.The sights were good but seemed standard to me. I do feel like the sights were "better" than the P-07. This was the first gun I actively practised using only my main hand. I was surprisingly a better shot with one hand than two.The controls were good and bad for me. I liked the location of the slide release. It was in a natural spot for that thumb on my main hand and easy to use. It took me a few seconds to figure out how safety button worked and I'm torn on how I feel about his the safety works. The safety lever is pointed towards the front of the gun. This means that my thumb can use the slide release and safety mechanism and barely change position. It seems like there would be less of a chance to disengage the safety when drawing but the location seems busy. I also wished that either the hammer was bigger or I had more access where the hammer strikes. The area looks pretty sleek but I would like to carry with the hammer down on a loaded chamber if the gun has a safety or not. I could lower the hammer but the sides and top pinched when the hammer got close to the firing pin. I also wasn't a fan of the mag release. It was located under the trigger and you have to press slightly down. To me it seems like an awkward location and that they were trying real hard to be different when everyone else's mag release that I've seen is in the grip.Overall, this was a solid gun that I would seriously consider to make my final cut. I think I would be able to overcome my complaints and make this a solid carry companion. On to the next gun!The list as it stands today:1.) H&K USP 92.) CZ P-07 via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2tnz5n8

No comments:

Post a Comment