Friday, June 29, 2018

First-Time Gun Owner CCW Recommendations


Hey everyone! Completely new to this sub but wanted to ask for a few recommendations on a first time gun purchase for CCW.A little background: My grandfather taught me shooting and firearm safety at a young age, I learned weapon safety in Boy Scouts, and I've been to the range and shot many times but have never felt it necessary to own or carry a firearm. Now that I own a home and have a baby I'm more concerned about safety. I live in suburban Virginia (gun laws support ownership) in a nice middle/working class area, but last winter we had a few serious crimes around the neighborhood (a shooting in a nearby apartment with no injuries, and a separate strong arm robbery). I wanted to buy a gun then, but the wife and I decided to put in a security system and hold off.Now that I'm revisiting the idea with a clear head, I still want to go ahead and purchase a weapon for concealed carry. I'm not a highly experienced shooter, so something relatively light with less recoil that I can practice shooting/drawing with would be ideal; .45 ACP caliber seems overkill. I plan to carry inside the belt either on the front right (appendix carry?) or on my right rear pocket. I've looked at a few single-stack 9mm subcompacts, but I'm a 6'0" guy with large hands, so I'm a bit concerned that a subcompact would be harder to hold, draw without dropping it, and fire accurately. My preference would be to buy something and not have to buy extended magazines just to be able to grip it properly - many of the reviews I've seen have said that aftermarket magazines can be inconsistent or cause jams.Any recommendations? I'd be interested to know what you guys use for everyday carry, what you've been happiest with in terms of comfort/reliability, and how your choice helped you adjust to carrying on a regular basis. Thanks! via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2KvyOZs

No comments:

Post a Comment