Tuesday, August 29, 2017

(Im)perfect Storm


I would like to begin carrying concealed, but I find myself in a very complicated situation. The primary barrier is financial: I just don't have sufficient disposable income to justify purchasing a weapon and the necessary accessories, ammo, range time, etc. Even assuming that I get that figured out, though, my lifestyle makes being a CCW carrier tricky, to say the least.I don't want to get terribly specific, but my situation is unique enough that I'm sure someone who's interested enough would be able to recognize me, so I'll just lay it out. I live in Kansas, which has constitutional carry, including (as of this July) college campuses. My combination of jobs requires me to travel to 2 different university campuses (one for teaching and one for [less frequent] administrative meetings), a public high school (for teaching), and a bar (for bartending).To complicate matters further, I am a regular (but not exclusive) bicycle commuter, so there is every combination of travel between university-high school-bar in both my motor vehicle and on my bicycle. Carrying on the university seems okay, the HS is a definite no, and carrying at the bar is a maybe (I haven't broached the subject to that boss, yet).What are some solutions to this and/or pitfalls I'm not seeing to becoming a CCW carrier with these complications? Can I leave my weapon locked in a car on a high school parking lot? What about parked a block away? Does disassembling my weapon and wrapping it up in a shoulder bag while biking and/or consuming alcohol matter at all? What options do I have here, if any? I'd prefer to retain a lawyer specialized in this stuff for my jurisdiction, but that is prohibitively expensive, as well.If it helps, I completed the required CCW training in Texas (but never applied for a license), I am an army vet, but have no relevant training there (rifle only), and have spent very little time on the range with a pistol.As for weapons and accessories are concerned, I'm prioritizing (fantasizing at this point, really) concealability and ease of off-body carry transfer. I don't care how well my big frame hides a sub-compact, spending a few hours at a stretch with dozens of people focused on me makes any kind of printing unacceptable. My preference would be a 9mm-ish SA/DA decocker-only. The Beretta PX4 Storm G compact/sub-compact has me the most interested, currently, but again, this is a bit of a pipe dream, at this point.I feel a bit stifled and lost right now, so any advice is appreciated. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2xJwXWU

No comments:

Post a Comment