Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Another almost DGU (Dog).


Hi all,  My previous submission here was a near DGU incident with a dog, so I apoligize for the redundency. I will try to keep it short. Walking at dusk with wife and dog. Wife is holding dog.. Adult Rotweiler rushed out of yard, across street, and tried to flank around/behind us to get to our dog. . I heard its claws on the pavement, spun and drew, wife yelled and briskly walked away.. I yelled while backpeddling, nearly tripped, wife kept retreating. Dog began to growl and kept approaching. I continued to backpedal and yell "go home" and it finally walked back into it's yard. . Takeaways:. Positive . My draw was very fast. I have been practicing, but not enough from concealment, however the gun came out before I even thought about it, and I didn't fumble. . No one ran, and I didn't fall over. . I was carrying a VP9, and felt somewhat safe with a fullsize and 15 rds. However I would have preferred a 10mm, I fet more safe than with my p2000sk in the last situation. I didn't hesitate and was assertive. . Negative . I need more training.. I need to practice walking and keeping my gun aimed. Also need to work on walking while not looking, tripping and falling would have been very bad. . I need to carry mace. I love dogs, and it would have been heartbreaking to shoot a beautiful dog defending its property. Also, due to an uphill slope, the backstop was a house and I don't want to think about that.. I couldn't find the sights. I had tunnel vision on the dog. I had a good grip and was on target (I think) but I need more training to practice acquiring sights under stress.. I need to practice shooting 1 handed, in case something like this happens while I am alone. . Thanks for listening! via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2wSu7lP

No comments:

Post a Comment