Thursday, August 31, 2017

Denver downtown Sheraton - posted or not?


In the near future I'm going to a convention at the downtown Denver Sheraton. The convention organizers insist on a no-weapons policy. Officially due to costume prop safety but explicitly extended to licensed concealed carry as well. They also claim authority to ban weapons everywhere on the hotel property. Everywhere! Including guest rooms. It's a disturbing trend among sci-fi conventions recently to make such extravagant claims, but I doubt the legality. When moving as directly as possible from my car to my room and back for the purpose of check in / check out / going to dinner I'm not actively participating in convention activities. So it's none of their business during those limited times. Also they have no authority over other hotel guests who didn't ask to be part of the convention. So the in-room weapons ban is bogus.Here's the problem. They claim it's as per hotel policy. This is documented nowhere on any of the Sheraton web sites, trip advisor reviews, or any hotel booking site I've looked at. Sheraton in Texas, yes, official info says no weapons. But nothing about Denver. Found some close up pics of the main entrance on trip advisor; didn't appear to be posted in any way at all. No proper signage, nothing in the pre-booking info. But maybe I missed something.So, anyone who's been there recently: Denver downtown Sheraton, posted or not?(Note: I'm not going to cancel the room or our tickets for the convention. That is my call to make, not anyone else's. But I would like to have reasonable self defense options while out for dinner in downtown Denver. Seriously, I'd say 16th street mall is a freaking zoo, but that would be unfair to actual zoological gardens.) via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2vN3Tw3

No comments:

Post a Comment