Thursday, September 28, 2017

Do you carry +P? What weight?


Just looking around at ammo and found myself wondering what you guys carry and why.Personally, I've never even shot +P out of my 9mm sp2022 (only handgun). My HD ammo has been Fed 135 grain HST (considering going down to 124 grain, as that weight is closer to the 115 grain range ammo I use), but I also keep seeing +P options while browsing for decent JHP rounds.Does +P have a noticeably stronger recoil? I know it'll be stronger, but enough to be an issue if I don't train with it normally? (Obviously I shoot my HD ammo from time to time anyway though.) Is the ballistic improvement enough to justify carrying it over standard pressure rounds (more similar to range ammo)? Do LEO/military use +P?I'd also like opinions/thoughts on weight. My understanding is that high weights (generally 147 grain for 9mm) will have better penetration (heavier projectile) while lighter weights (generally 115 grain) will have better expansion of JHPs (higher velocity=more hydraulic force on impact). That should, in theory, make heavier ammo better for cold climates (get through heavy jackets), while lighter rounds are better when expecting to not need much penetration, but purely looking for a well expanded bullet so it does as much damage as it can (warmer climates).I know, I know, it's more about rounds on target than these relatively minor considerations so I don't concern myself much with them, but with so many options out there, why not discuss it to death for the sake of discussion itself?So guys, do you carry +P? What weight?Edit: Aaaand, I just found this awesome chart/site. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2fTVAtr

No comments:

Post a Comment