Saturday, September 23, 2017

Three Years of EDCing a Glock 26 in an Alien Gear Holster


Back in the summer of 2014 I picked up an Alien Gear holster for the Glock 26 I purchased earlier that year. I had read a handful of reviews that it was a great holster for the price, and lots of people recommended it. It's the original design with the leather backing, and the recommended nylon clips (I think the 2.0 just came out right around the time I ordered mine).Here it is over three years later. I carry any time I leave the house, and live in Houston, so you're sweating after being outside for more than two minutes half the year.http://ift.tt/2fHW4mg, it's held up fairly well for an inexpensive holster.I clean it semi-regularly using whatever detailing product I have on hand (usually Lexol for leather), so it's not become hard or cracked at all. The backing has plenty of creases, and is stuck in a deformed position from being carried in the ~3 o'clock position for years. Some of the tee nuts are a little loose (mainly the free ones with no bolt in them), but nothing has fallen out yet. There is some slight rust on a few of them, but given the amount of sweat this thing has seen over the years, I happy with it. The shell still firmly holds the gun in place (though these did have to be tightened up regularly over the years). The nylon clips have both deformed, and are bent outward (one more than the other). They usually still clip on to my belt fine.Would I recommend this to others looking for a holster?Probably not. Sure the holster has held up, but any of the holsters that cost two or three times as much do as well. Plus, when you spread that cost out over a few years, it's only like $2 a month. I'd definitely say a couple bucks a month is worth a little more comfort and better design. I don't like how there's a tee nut for each clip location, as I've found out they're wearing holes in my pants. Plus since I received mine, there's been issues with the trigger not being covered, and there's been a little back and forth on it being fixed, and it being a problem again (in their defense, I haven't heard anything bad for a little bit now). I've found out the hard way over the years, with things like LAPG pants, buy once cry once is the way to go.I've been eyeing a new holster for some time, but life's been busy, and I tend to take my time to research my decisions. Plus, I've also been considering switching to a 43 or Shield instead of a 26. Otherwise, I would have already ditched this holster. This holster never gave me any big issues, but it feels like the '95 Accord you got when you're 16. It's your first one. You're inexperienced, and don't know what you want, but over time you learn what features you like/dislike, what's comfortable to you, and are willing to spend more for one now. If you absolutely need a holster, and can't swing an extra $20-100, sure it will work (at least the original leather one, I've read a lot of bad things about the 2.0), but if you can afford a better one, get it. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2xnMLSn

No comments:

Post a Comment