Monday, July 3, 2017

Neighbor charges with a baseball bat, I didn't draw or shoot.


I have a pair of neighbors that you probably know if you've ever lived in a bad part of town: Loud-mouthed woman who starts a lot of shit, and a man who "rescues" her. They moved in a couple of months ago.So around 11pm there's a knock on my door. It's loud-mouth and she has some kind of issue with where I put my trash cans. I tell her, in a stern voice, that this sort of thing can wait. Well, her boyfriend was lurking in the shadows about 30 feet away with a baseball bat and comes up yelling "DON'T YOU STEP TO HER LIKE THAT!" with the bat up above his head.Now, I'd say this is about where you draw, start firing, and don't stop until the threat is done. However, my gut told me, "These people are idiots...this is some kind of useless chest-thumping so they can get their rocks off or some other bullshit."Sure enough, the guy stopped about 10 feet short, doing sort of the "hold me back" thing (even though nobody else but his girlfriend was around).So at this point I said, "I'm calling the cops. Goodnight." and went back inside. Office Do-nothing of the No-Paperwork squad showed up, talked to everybody, decided no wrong had been done (!!!) and then left. Apparently their story was that I had threatened loud-mouth and he was defending her. Oooookay. I get it, conflicting stories, no witnesses, whatever.So, at this point, I am putting the story out there for community feedback. My initial takeaway is:1) I'm glad I didn't draw and especially didn't draw & shoot. My gut told me the guy was bluffing, and (fortunately) I was right this time. However, after reflecting I do not think I would have hesitated if he had continued advancing in a threatening manner (this is a "stand your ground" state).2) These people live 20 feet away from me. Any advice on dealing with this situation long-term? Moving is a somewhat "easy" option (I rent). I've had "unstable" neighbors before and I think it may be better to GTFO than just hope they don't escalate some other random situation.3) I don't carry 100% of the time at home, but I always answer the door with it on me. Even though I didn't need it this time, I will continue this practice. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2sF4Y7M

No comments:

Post a Comment