Saturday, March 18, 2017

Reviews of Crossbreed Freedom Carry and Stealthgear Revolution IWB (Standard) with a P320 Carry. Skinny Build.


PART ONE: CROSSBREED FREEDOM CARRYI bought the Crossbreed Freedom Carry so I could try different carrying positions with a single holster. I had a strong feeling this wouldn't be my final holster, but really wanted to avoid a holster drawer for my P320 Carry. Figure owning this would be enough to figure out what I like/dislike about different positions, and make it clearer as to what I really desire in a holster.The Good: It is comfortable when it stays in position. The leather is nice and thick and will even allow one to carry with the gun pressing into the hip-bone without being excruciatingly painful. Crossbreed belt clips are awesome, these things are really sturdy.The Kydex is mostly well done and is angled to push into the body. It carries at 3:00-5:00 pretty well. The ability to adjust the cant of the holster is pretty nice, even if a few design flaws cause issues at carry positions at less than 3:00.I wore it for 3 months of pretty vigorous activity and it held up to wear and tear really well. Other than some minor scuffing on the leather from where the slide and sights contact during holstering, and the inevitable grooves and texturing of all the fine details a gun will press into a leather holster. I have to say this holster holds up incredibly well, if it wasn't for the molding to the body and gun details it could damn near pass as brand new.It is rather easy to take on and off. It is small enough that you can fit the holster and the gun into most smaller nightstand and car safes.It conceals rather well at 3:00 or later provided you aren't wearing skin tight clothing. Not once in the 3 months I used this holster did anyone have an idea I was carrying if I kept the holster at 3:00 or later.The Bad: Most of the bads are probably largely due to the weight of a 17rd Double Stack pistol. With a smaller, lighter pistol most of the bads would probably be mitigated substantially. This would likely be a great holster for something like an LCP II, but is only an "OK" holster for something M&P Shield size or larger.The holster will slowly but constantly move backwards if carried strong side. You can start at 3:00 and find the holster slowly shifted to 4:45. Because of the single clip design the only thing that will stop it from moving is if the clip runs into a belt loop. This causes many headaches, going to the bathroom requires using a stall because you will need to adjust the holster, either because it slid backwards, or the weight of the gun is causing the entire holster to over-cant. It was also really awesome buying cigarettes at the gas station and finding the holster shifted so far backwards that the muzzle of my gun was pinning my wallet in my rear pocket. Had I had not known the manager on duty so well, and had I not been the only customer, needing to undo my belt and slip my holster forward 3 inches could have cause some problems. The slowly moving backwards thing happened with my belt on tight, and on barely tight enough to keep my pants up.Retention is lackluster and non-adjustable. Kydex is pinned not screwed to the leather. Once pressed to the body the gun will retain well, but at least with my Freedom Carry there is no holding the gun upside down in the holster level of retention.It can carry in many positions, but doesn't carry well in any of them. Appendix carry looked awful, like I had shoved a 18" jelly dildo down the front of my pants and was trying to fool everyone with the massive size of my fleshy disappointment. The smaller size of the holster creates a really bizarre looking bulge, so you wind up looking like you have some sort of bone-growth disease, or you are phallic fantastic with a hair trigger from flop to firm. Without any wedge or claw there just isn't anything to prevent the grip from printing badly, and the smaller size of the holster leads to an unnatural looking bulge at the belt-line and will make your belt buckle stand out very riduculously even when offset.Carrying at 3:00 or later was much better, the shape of the Kydex was enough to press the grip into the body and it concealed quite well. Going to the bathroom is always a PITA because the holster is gonna shift as soon as pressure from your body is released, and you will need to re-adjust. No urinals or troughs with this holster.I wish the Kydex came up higher on the gun and covered a bit more of the trigger guard. While the holster is tuckable if you carry it with a cant and tuck your shirt in there will be no Kydex between the gun and your pants. I found my shirts getting snagged on the slide release lever whenever I carried with a cant. If I carried the holster at 90 degrees with no can't there was some kydex between pants and gun and that prevented any snagging. Ride height isn't adjustable. I wish the Kydex also covered the entire slide length instead of leaving the muzzle exposed.Closing Thoughts: This really isn't a bad holster. It isn't the holster for me, and it isn't a great holster for a double stack. The single clip can't hold the holster at a consistent position or angle, which leads to constant adjustment. Nothing will blow concealment away easier than needing to constantly adjust ones holster. I'm glad I bought it because it was good enough to recognize what I liked in a holster for the P320 Carry, but more importantly strongly pointed out what I didn't like, making my next holster purchase much more informed. I'll probably keep it around for SOB carry when I'm doing woodworking, metalworking, or small gas engine maintenance in the garage.This would probably be a great holster for a pocket gun, though I strongly doubt appendix carry is going to work well with any size pistol. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2mGW9YN

No comments:

Post a Comment