Friday, March 24, 2017

Accosted overseas. How do you handle it?

It's shocking when it happens to you.

While traveling or working overseas, I've been accosted twice over the years (Paris and Shanghai). Both times, that assailant(s) would jump in front of me and block my path. When I tried to go around them, they would repeat the pattern.

In Paris, I was with my wife and distracted by an argument. Two younger (North African?) guys thought they would have fun harassing us. Wife got into nearly a screaming fit and then they left. I guess that worked out well for them. I felt useless.

Second time, in Shanghai, a big young Chinese male jumped in front of me demanding my cup of coffee and refusing to leave me alone. After trying to warn him off, I nailed him a few times with my left elbow into his breastbone to back him off. He kept coming, so I half-crushed the coffee cup and threw it at him. Some got on him and then he gave up. I walked away furious.

During both encounters, I had lost situational awareness and hadn't really planned on being attacked. It was low-level but it could have escalated very easily. Mentally it was shocking.

I don't want to be in foreign jail or dead in the street. I had karate and aikido 25 years ago in college and am in decent shape for a nearly 50 year old male. I'm at least 6'0'' and over 180 pounds.

How could I have been more effective? What should I have done? If I get stopped by two guys, how can I defend my wife too?



Submitted March 24, 2017 at 04:17AM by nfreemium http://ift.tt/2nuDJxC

No comments:

Post a Comment