Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Positive LEO Interaction


Yesterday my mom asked if she could take me out for lunch. We met at Taco Bell, and ended up in line behind a local LEO I've never met. Tac pants, boots, and a polo with the police department logo & such on it, with a radio and a sidearm, but not a full duty belt with cuffs, taser, etc... I'm not sure what rank/title he should have, but he's definitely not out on patrol, maybe on a special detail. So, as we stand there, I notice that he's carrying an XDs in what looks like a 4" barrel. While we were waiting for our food, I said hi, and asked him how it's going. He responded pleasantly, so I asked him, "How do you like the XDs? A couple of my friends keep recommending them." And then he struck up a whole conversation while we waited. He told me about how he has an old XD40, and an XDm, and the XDs, and how the XD line is more accurate than any other gun he's ever shot. I told him I just ordered an XDm, and his vote for it really made my day. He assured me that I'll love the XDm, and that it's much better than my buddy's XD that I've shot.No real point to this story, except to show that cops are people, too. I'm happy I live in an area where a dude with visible tattoos (including on my hand), piercings, a beard and a mohawk can approach an LEO and strike up conversation about guns. Also, an area where a white dude who looks like I do can approach a black cop, and not have the cop be intimidated, or agitated by it. There are areas out there where as soon as someone approaches a cop, he's reaching for his gun, because he's worried the person will attack him. There's a lot of negativity out there about cops in general, and about cops interacting with people who carry. I didn't announce that I was carrying, and it was well concealed under a Dickies shirt, but based on the conversation and the mention of my LC9s, I'm sure he was aware, and we still had a pleasant conversation, then acknowledged each other with smiles and nods before we left the restaurant. Always makes me happy to have a good experience with an LEO. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2mQvl8N

No comments:

Post a Comment