Wednesday, March 1, 2017

[Colorado] Firearm in Car on College Campus


I am copying this over from r/legaladvice because I only got one person responding and I'd like to get multiple interpretations if I can.I am a sophomore at a university in Colorado who is living in campus housing, forbidding me from having firearms in my residence, and who is also a member of several competitive shooting teams (pistol and shotgun). I also have a car on campus with a parking permit allowing me to park near my housing. Would it be legal for me to store my firearms unloaded, in locked cases, and out of sight in my vehicle while it is parked on campus? I am aware the campus is a gun free zone, however I have also found the following information on Colorado gun laws that would appear to imply that this has no bearing on whether or not I can have firearms in my vehicle:Colorado allows a person to carry a firearm in a vehicle if its use is for lawful protection of such person or another's person or property. [C.R.S. 18-12-105(2)] Colorado law also allows a person to possess a handgun in a dwelling, place of business, or automobile. However, when you carry the weapon into your home, business, hotel room, etc. it must be in plain view. Local jurisdictions may not enact laws that restrict a person's ability to travel with a weapon. [C.R.S. 18-12-105.6](quote from the official Colorado state website)I currently have my firearms stored off-campus, but their location will need to change soon and I have no place yet lined up for their storage. I am not concerned about the firearms being stolen from my car, since the parking lots are well lit, monitored, and I have never had an incident even when foolishly leaving expensive golf clubs in plain view (the cases would be hidden underneath a seat), not to mention the fact that I can easily use a U-lock to secure the cases underneath the back seat.Calling the campus police office was of little help, as they refused to answer whether or not it was legal and told me I should store them with the police. The problem with that is the very limited hours that they would be available for pick up or drop off of the firearms, meaning I would be unable to make it to all of the necessary practices for competition with my firearm.I am hoping that someone else who might know more about the storage of firearms in vehicles in Colorado might be able to help me out. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2mHTgYc

No comments:

Post a Comment