Monday, March 20, 2017

4 events over the course of a year and why I have my CCW now. (long post)


I've always lived in decent neighborhoods and one year I eventually moved to an area that was somewhat decent but low-cost (the reason I moved there... needed to save money). After moving there however, things started getting worse. The following are 4 events involving shootings that you may find interesting either from legal standpoints or just seeing how situations unfold.Each event I was within a few yards of the bullet landings as I was on the bad end of the muzzles but thankfully not the target. I was not involved in either party, just an innocent bystander in an adjacent property (close and small properties).First eventRounds Fired: 8 to 10Range: 15-20 yards.Time: Around 2:00AMDrive by where the suspects targeted neighboring house. No injuries, just property damage to house and vehicles.Second EventRounds Fired: 8 to 10Range: 15-20 YardsTime: Around 8:00PMVery much the same as first. Drive by with property damage, no injuries AFAIK.Note: I found one of the casings. Looked to be 45 but was hard to see buried in the grass. I did not touch it as it was right after the shooting and people may have been injured and police may have needed for evidence. Called police officer over to bag for evidence which he did with gloves and evidence bag.Third EventRounds Fired: Did not read police report, but I believe around 40 total.Range: 15-25 Yards (somewhat moving)Time: Around 10:00PMThis event was a full on gun fight with both sides emptying their magazines. It lasted about 15-20 seconds total, firing non-stop. Not much aiming. Initiating suspect died at scene. Unsure of how many hits on him but I imagine only one or two as he survived for a couple minutes after the shooting then bled out. Targets I believe were not hit but unsure as they fled the scene. Later apprehended (after fourth event), but NOT charged with murder. Only charges were related to firing into occupied homes and vehicles (every house and vehicle in the area was hit by the random aimless firing from both sides). He is alive however and no one was hurt except the initiating suspect being dead. So a rough shoot.Note: Be sure of your target and what's behind them.Fourth EventRounds Fired: 6Range: About 10 yardsTime: Around 4pmThis event I believe was retaliation for the death of their gang member. I guess the suspect had been watching the house for targets to return. They finally returned and this event happened a couple weeks after the third event. The suspect parked on the side street and crept and took cover between vehicles and fired 6 rounds towards a gathering of the previous targets (who had ran from the scene before). I believe all 6 shots missed but unsure as targets fled again. I could not find the casings a couple minutes after the shooting so I believe it was a revolver. I did not see the firearm. Only reason I went to check area so soon after was to make sure my vehicle wasn't hit as he used it as one of the ones used for cover.Legal Notes:Be sure of your target and what is behind them. If the target had accidentally hit someone in one of the houses, he could have been charged with murder instead. Thankfully, only the initiating suspect died and I believe it was ruled self-defense from what little I spoke with detectives about.Personal Notes:Each event I had ample thick cover and took cover and called 911 as events were unfolding.The first two events I did not have a CCW but did get my ass in gear to get the class taken and application filed. The last 2 events I was still awaiting my CCW to process. (Took about 60 days...). Thankfully, I did have my pistol with me as I was at a location that allowed open carry. Thankfully, I was not the target.In these situations I did not fire anyway. It was not absolutely necessary and I would have ended up with the same charges as the self-defense guy. Residential areas suck for gun fights no matter what. I don't care how good you think you can shoot, in the high-adrenaline situation where shots are landing within 10 feet of you and you are trying to take cover as well, you will miss at least one of your shots if you fire at 15-20 yards. You are responsible for that shot.For the last 2 events I did draw my pistol however and have it at low ready if needed. I was very well covered however and no one could see that I had drawn it. With each situation I was already mostly behind cover and did not see the situations begin. I only had my pistol out after suspects were running and only had it out for defense of me and mine. I did not want to get involved with their situation on either end. And legally, since I usually did not see the start of the situation, would have been a bad idea to get involved.In all situations, my family&friends were unharmed luckily and only one physical item of mine was hit by a bullet (during the gun fight with random firing).Shots fired when you are on the muzzle end without ear protection can be pretty loud. The last event was much quieter however, so curious what he was using. Wasn't as quiet as a .22 though (I've been around .22 without earpro some). Maybe subsonic 9mm? I don't really know shit about revolvers and their common calibers/cartridge types though. Also hard to gauge since 99.9% of the time I have ear pro on when around guns firing lol.Anyway, just some info from situations I thought some folks might want to hear about. More info on all types of situations is always good to learn about from legal standpoints or just to get a feel for situations. And figured some folks might like the data on ranges/shots fired. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2ml0PYg

No comments:

Post a Comment