Monday, February 27, 2017

Screw D.C. Gun Laws (What I will have to do moving to D.C. with firearms)


I'm a college student (originally from the wonderfully free state of Missouri) finally figuring out my living arrangements for this Fall in DC, where I go to school. I was hoping (and still intend to) to bring a rifle or two for taking my friends to the range in Virginia and my handgun for apartment defense and the zombie apocalypse.Reading up on the laws, I realize that I have to declare to the MDP that I will be bringing a gun into the District and then register each one within 48 hours of that. Then I look at the form, and it literally asks where I will be keeping the weapons on a regular basis. Then I look and its a $13 registration fee per firearm. I have to pay to keep my own property in my own home and whatnot? "Gosh, at least its only $13 each," I think to myself. Then after more reading I have to get the firearm from my apartment to the MDP HQ to finish the registration (which I am not even sure is legal and might get me arrested--I will certainly consult a lawyer beforehand). Then I have to pass a test; I have no idea what happens if I fail. Finally, I have to pay another $35 fee to have the FBI do a background check and get myself fingerprinted... again. As a student barely able to afford college, I can really see how gun laws disproportionately affect lower income persons wanting to defend themselves/exercise their rights.All this, and I already have my MO CCW permit which includes far more than that just to keep my firearms locked in my home.Thanks for listening to my rant. I just needed to vent to some people who understand. Looking back, I would certainly pick a different school. Also, living across the river in Virginia isn't really an option for me at this point.Edit: spelling via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2lNBeFD

No comments:

Post a Comment