Friday, February 24, 2017

It can happen anytime, anywhere..


I wanted to talk about a scenario that happened 4 months ago that was a good lesson to me about situational awareness and trusting instincts.One day (middle of the afternoon, bright and sunny) I was walking out of my girlfriends apartment right downtown in a major city; but a good area. An early-20-something man quickly approached me when I was putting something into my trunk and asked if I could help him jump his car.A few things that set me off about this....he approached me quickly like he had been waiting for someone to walk to their car, he kept pacing, and he was talking really fast/looking around.I said I didn't have jumper cables (I did, the dude was just being sketchy as shit). He told me he had some cables, by this point I was already on the opposite side of the car from him and getting in. I told him I was running late and had to go.I think to myself "fuck that, that did not feel right" as I drive away. I round the apartment building and see him and one other dude in the parking lot standing next to a car with the hood up. Then I think "man, maybe I'm being too harsh, I shouldn't be so judgemental."After this, I'm feeling kind of rotten about not helping, so I go around the block. This time, I see them drop the hood, get in the car and drive away. My stomach dropped. It was a setup.I was carrying when this happened, but still the thought of being put in that shit situation and someone having the jump on me stuck with for the next few hours.The lure scenario is something I hadn't thought about too much, by the time you agree to go to a second location you're prime for being taken advantage of. Trust your instincts, folks.Also, before anyone asks, I called in a description of the car and incident to non-emergency afterwards. I don't know if anything came of it. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2lFhT9m

No comments:

Post a Comment