Friday, February 24, 2017

Denied CCW but Approved purchase permit? Details inside.


Hello all, new to Reddit and this subject matter and just figured I'd post details of my situation and see if I could get any advice...I recently attempted to purchase a firearm, I submitted my information via an instant background check at the store and was told the purchase was approved, I ended up backing out of the sale as I wanted more time to consider which firearm I was going to purchase as I had it narrowed down to a couple of options. In any case I take this to mean I could've left that day with my purchase.Fast forward a few days, I actually work in a law enforcement profession (not as a sworn officer) but in a county police department and passed all background checks, ect.I went in to the SO after a shift and applied for my CCW and the staff ran my background check, took my cash and gave me a temporary permit to take home saying I'd receive the actual card in 3-4 weeks from the state and that everything looked good. A couple of days later I was told to stop by the SO and that they needed to talk to me about my permit.I was told the next day they received a hit stating my CCW permit was being denied for mental health and that the party reporting this information was the FBI? I'm hoping I'll get a denial letter with more specific information... but in any case some background, 7 years ago I did voluntarily go to a mental health facility to seek help during a divorce/ bankruptcy that was pretty rough. I was never committed by the state, judged mentally incompetent at a hearing, ect. I have zero criminal history. I live in another state and have since moved on, no longer have any issues, take any medication, ect. I even had to get medical/ mental health evaluations before my current position that were signed by a physician prior to my employment. In general I'm in an entirely different time and space in my life and my seeking of help was driven almost entirely by circumstance. I'll admit I did not handle the situation well at that time but part of life is learning!The state where I did receive treatment has an appeal process where you must turn in a check and paperwork including circumstances and details surrounding the mental health situation, why you want the record removed, psych evals, and character witness statements. It sounds like they consider just the paper form first and then establish a hearing if needed... if I decide to follow through with this process so I retain an attourney? Seems like a ton of expense and effort for a limited success rate. Anybody else here that has had a similar experience? Could this prevent me from furthering my career in law enforcement despite the fact that I have passed all mental health evaluations and the background check? Any thing else I can do regarding this? via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2mlSVtZ

No comments:

Post a Comment