Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Testing your carry ammo... Had a little bit of a scare today at the range.


So I went to the range today to help a friend rent and pick out his first ccw pistol. He wanted a single stack 9mm and we were trying out a few of them. (He decided on a Glock 43 for those who want to know)During his testing he asked how much smaller pistols can get so I pulled out my loaded LCP in a desantis pocket holster from my range bag and let him empty the 7 hollow points downrange. I figured I'd fill it with fresh carry loads when he got done.I was waiting to see his reaction of that little .380 bucking and snorting in his hand, but was amazed to see almost no recoil and hardly any noise from the gun. It sounded like a suppressed rimfire going off.Turns out the first round in the chamber that I've been pocket carrying on and off for the last 2 months was a dud. It probably would have been classified as a squib if it wasn't for the LCP's short ass 2.75 inch barrel. It failed to eject and I had to take it from him to clear it out and make sure the bullet did in fact leave the muzzle end of the gun.I immediately stripped the pistol, checked everything over, and then ran every last round of that stuff I had in my bag (Hornaday XTP 90 grain) through the gun without a problem. Only one was a dud. The first one.So now I'm sitting here thinking how awesome that would have been if I had needed that thing to save my life over the past 2 months, I would have been screwed. It would have been different if it was the 3rd or 4th round, but the first one I had loaded in the chamber?..... I mean C'mon!So I ask this to everyone: how would you handle this situation? How often do you check and replace your carry loads? How well do you trust what you are carrying?Thanks for reading. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2mbUbmn

No comments:

Post a Comment