Thursday, February 23, 2017

Advice on a safe for EDC


Hi r/CCW,For a little background, I'm still pretty new to gun ownership. My wife and I got our ND Class 1 CWLs in April '16, and just purchased our first pistol this past December. We settled on a S&W M&P 22 compact (I personally had my sights on a Shield). My reasoning is that if push came to shove, I'd rather my wife have access to a gun that she will pull the trigger on than be skittish about shooting a 9mm. I'm sure we'll get there soon, but for now, a 22 is strongly preferred to a baseball bat.I'm looking for a safe that's reliable and quick-access. We don't have any kids, but we are foster parents, so ND laws require that we lock up our guns when we have children in our care. Currently, I store it in condition 4 with a padlock on the case, which makes it almost entirely useless in a home invasion scenario, but it achieves compliance (when we don't have kids, the padlock is omitted). Here's what I'm looking for:* Quick access - I don't want to spend forever trying to get a safe open. 5 seconds or less from laying in bed to condition 1. Basically I'm ruling out bank-style combination dials.* Not prone to defeat - Our age range is 0 to 10. We don't allow kids in our bedroom as a general rule, but if we have a kid that's especially curious, I'd want it to keep them out. I've read that some biometric readers can be opened by almost any fingerprint on low battery - this would be a no-go.* Reasonable for use with EDC. I'd like to open the safe twice a day and not have to replace a battery every week.Maybe I'm just getting myself overly concerned for no reason, but it seems that every safe I've looked into has had 1-star reviews saying it can be easily defeated or gets random memory wipes or so on. I could really use some solid advice, whether that's a specific product recommendation, general things to avoid, or someone telling me my concerns are irrational.Thanks in advance.PS: I'm still pretty new to Reddit, so my formatting might suck. Sorry if that bothers you. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2lKGome

No comments:

Post a Comment