Saturday, November 18, 2017

AlienGear ShapeShift: My opinion as a newer carrier


Hello all, I've been rocking the ShapeShift paddle OWB since it came out and I just wanted to give my honest opinion on it's performance.First, OWB (open carry). This has been the majority of my experience, as I'm 19. The ShapeShift is the easiest on and off holster you'll ever experience, I would be money. You press a little button on the side to attach/detach the holster shell from the paddle, and it's almost like sticking a magnet on the fridge. That's the only positive thing I have to say about it. It's cheap-feeling, even with the retention screw it's very difficult to find a comfortable level of retention, and the thumb release (if you opt to use it) is horrid; seriously, get a SERPA and risk shooting yourself before using this, it's so clunky and difficult to use that I doubt whether or not I'll be able to draw in an emergency, after hours of practice.The AIWB and IWB: fun, like playing Barbie's but with a holster. Clunky as hell and takes up way too much space; I cannot fathom how these are used in any real world situation without bad printing.I've just picked up the Safariland 6378 and have started carrying with it, prompting me to write this review. I would highly recommend buying this and a good IWB holster, and don't settle for a holster that does both horribly. The 6378 has a fantastic thumb release that feels totally natural, it's smooth and sleek, it's really tight to your waist (as opposed to the ShapeShift, where you're basically offering your gun to the guy next to you), and it's a lot more secure and well built. If you want to conceal OWB, this will blow the ShapeShift out of the water. If you want to open carry, great! It does that better too. And the one thing the ShapeShift has going for it, ease of use, I've noticed is pretty easily combatted by practicing putting on your holster. I've put the 6378 paddle on maybe 10 times and I've already gotten it down so it's nearly as fast as the ShapeShift, despite it being much larger and more secure of a mounting mechanism. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2zgYUu4

No comments:

Post a Comment