Saturday, November 25, 2017

My AZ CCW Experience


Hey guys, long time lurker here, finally got my CCW so I wanted to share my experience now that it's all over. I figured this would make a hell of a first post. :DI did a lot of googling on AZ CCW wait times and all of the results I looked at were fairly outdated, so maybe someone out there will read this and find it helpful. Enjoy!October 6, 2017I decided that today was the day I'd apply for an out-of-state Arizona Concealed Weapons permit.I went on the AZ DPS website and reviewed the requirements, but I had a question about qualifying. Would I have to take a CCW specific course or would my previous training and experience as an armed security guard work?So I sent a message using the online contact form. Literally less than half an hour later, the Concealed Weapons Permit Unit responded to my email saying that I'd qualify and asked for my address to mail me an application packet.I was flabbergasted by the response time, and very impressed. I responded with my mailing address and within two minutes (literally!!) they wrote back saying a packet had been mailed out to me.October 13, 2017A large manila envelope arrived for me. Inside were several forms and instructions along with two old-school fingerprint cards and a pre-addressed envelope.I carefully filled out all the forms and put in copies of my security training certificates and licenses. I also included a printed copy of my email exchange with the AZ DPS (just in case). I decided I'd get the cards done on Sunday.October 15, 2017I work as a non-sworn officer for a local police department in my city, so this part of my experience may not apply for some. In my city, there are no "free" fingerprinting services, but for me, I simply called up one of my sworn co-workers on our day off and asked him to meet me at the station.40 minutes later, I had two completed FBI fingerprint cards. My packet was nearly complete.October 16, 2017I went to my local Post Office and purchased a money order for $60. I stuck it in the envelope and sent it via Certified Mail. Broken down, here's what I paid:Money Order: $60.00Money Order Fee: $1.20Certified Mail Fee: $3.35Postage: $1.40GRAND TOTAL: $65.95October 19, 2017I got curious and checked my online tracking today. AZ DPS has received my application. The waiting game begins.Over the next few weeks, I get anxious and search google for other people's experiences with AZ DPS. I get results as old as 2012 and only as recent as 2016. I saw everything from "I got my CCW in 2 weeks!" to "It's been six months and I'm still waiting."Fingers crossed.November 25, 2017A letter arrives for me. I crack it open and there's a message inside from AZ DPS and my shiny new CCW permit.It's beautiful. It's glorious. I savored the moment as best I could, then shoved the permit into my wallet.The permit itself says it was issued on November 4, 2017 (a Saturday!), so for some reason it took 22 days to get finalized and/or mailed out.From start to finish, it took roughly 2.5 months (51 days) total to apply for and receive my permit.I gotta start shopping for gear now. I'll probably be participating (and lurking) here a lot more now.Hope y'all found this informative! via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2AbJxk2

No comments:

Post a Comment