Saturday, November 18, 2017

Advice on hammer position


So, I need a little clarification. I carry an XD-E - but, I have a question about hammer position.On this particular firearm, it has a DA trigger with safety and de-cocker "combo".My question is about the correct hammer condition to carry it in. There are three hammer positions. One is fully down, touching the striker plate. One is barely cocked, like 1mm back from the striker plate - this is achieved by pulling the trigger ever so slightly and the DA functions to pull back the hammer, and then there is a very slight 'click' but the hammer isn't cocked, it's just not fully decocked. The last position is fully cocked, ready to fire - in that condition the trigger functions as a SA trigger.I don't carry with the hammer cocked. I have a round chambered, but plan on using the DA trigger to cock and fire the pistol if needed.That said, my question is should I carry with the hammer fully "decocked", touching the striker plate, or should I carry with the hammer in the first 'click' position where it's not cocked, but it's also not touching the striker plate - and why?Intuition says I should be carrying in that first 'click' hammer position, as I think it's purpose is to prevent accidental discharge if something's were to hit the hammer hard...like if the gun were dropped, and the hammer was touching the striker plate, and the gun landed on the hammer - I think the force might be enough to fire the weapon - is this right? via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2hABt3P

No comments:

Post a Comment