Thursday, April 27, 2017

Question about Stand your Ground and Duty to Retreat.


Hello all.I just completed my CCW classes in Illinois and plan to apply for my permit in the next few weeks. I am still not clear about the differences between "Using lethal force if necessary" and "retreating if at all able". Illinois is a "Must Retreat" state meaning that you must attempt to get away from an assailant before using lethal force. My concern is, in that split second decision, how will anyone make a solid decision that they can or cannot get away? My take is this. If you are confronted by a belligerent person who is 30 yards away and you have access to a locking door right behind you. That would make sense that you retreat behind that door. If he breaks down that door. Then draw. Am I incorrect? I know most people ANA Lawyer here so I will not take this as legal advice. I just need some clarification. This "Must Retreat" law seems like a good way for a lot of CCW carriers to get themselves killed when they had an ability to defend themselves. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2qdr8AP

No comments:

Post a Comment