Saturday, April 29, 2017

Urban Carry G2 Review [Cadet, LCP] (My first holster)


So I just received my first holster in the mail, an Urban Carry G2, in Cadet size for my LCP. I know it's not highly thought of around these parts, but they were quick to arrive (which I need) and offer what appears to be deep concealment. Overall, I'm satisfied with the holster as it probably as inconspicuous as possible while still being quite comfortable. However, it's definitely not the greatest thing since sliced bread.So, I'm a fat guy and wear my pants below my gut. I tried a $10 amazon holster just to get a feel for how big of a bulge I was going to get in different carry positions. There just didn't seem any feasible way to have a IWB not dig under my belly and make a weird bulge, at least not from 1:00 to 3:00. It probably wouldn't be a huge issues as long as it's not uncomfortable, although I did want something a little more discrete if my shirt rode up. I'm a little too young to wear a belt-clip cell phone holster, but the look of the Urban Carry if my shirt rode up while getting in/out of a truck wouldn't be so conspicuous.I've seen the video of the guy who drops his piece from a draw, but thought that the magnet would help keep it in. With every single-handed pull (right or left), I was unable to get it to pop out. I even yanked on it with both hands as hard as I could, to the point where it flipped my belt around backwards, and the LCP stayed in the holster. However, as soon as I put the camera on to record a video and did a double-hand tug it came free. So, it's not as secure as a traditional holster, but it is pretty snug. You'd really have to yank on that thing to get it to pop out, so I'm not really worried. If it was the smallest suggested gun for that size holster, or even a larger sized gun with more mass (and therefore inertia) might not have the same 'stick'.Speaking of the magnet, It isn't terribly strong but isn't weak either. I can pick up a LCP using just the magnet, but it's not like it's super-stuck. I also keep a leatherman style in my pocket and was concerned that it would stick. I didn't have any problems with that or picking up paperclips or loose staples or anything.As far as comfort goes, it's quite comfortable. Even in tight jeans it wasn't a big deal, although sitting down can be a little awkward when the legs are a bit slimmer. It holds the entirety of the gun under the hip-bend area, so as long as there is room in the leg it doesn't seem to be much of an issue. In the summer, it might be hot depending on the type of drawers you wear. I wear poly/spandex boxer-briefs, so nothing will bunch and it'll keep the leather off my leg. I didn't have to loosen my belt and had no problem drawing with my belt at it's regular notch.I was really worried about it being conspicuous even with tight pants. It felt like I had this huge lump under my jeans and figured it would be easily obvious that I had something in my pants. Adding some light stuff in my pockets (my edc: leatherman, headphones 'pod', flashlight and knife clipped on pocket) seemed to help distract from it. Either way, it's not something that I'd be worried about anyone picking up easily. It kind of looks like I have a cellphone in my pocket, although that may look a little strange if I'm on my phone too.Tight Pants - Empty Pockets Front Side Tight Pants - Carry Front SideLoose Pants - Empty Pockets Front Side Loose Pants - Carry Front SideSo, I carried all day and not even my wife noticed that I was packing. Not bad.So now for the bad part. The ergonomics of the carry is mediocre and the ergonomics of the draw is pretty terrible. There are 3 major issues. First, the gun sits too high when holstered. Second, it's tight to grab out of the holster. Third, it's super high to draw from, especially if the holster is worn on the waist.So, I expected it to sit when carried similar to a pocket carry, with the end of the barrel down towards the bottom of the pocket. Well, the grip sits above the pocket line by a bit and I really wish it was lower. In the below pics, I've highlighted the pocket in green and the gun in red. It's nice that there is plenty of room in my pocket under the holster, but getting in/out of the pocket is tight. I think it would be helpful if it sat a few inches lower.Front SideNow, the LCP doesn't have much to grab on to. I get that. But I can't get around the grip at all when starting to pull it free. I'm pretty much grabbing it with the finger from the first knuckle down only, then I have to maneuver it around as it's half out or fully out to get a grip. It's really awkward, and definitely a risk of getting disarmed if drawing in close quarters. In defense of a physical attack, this could be a huge issue.GripWhen in the draw position, the gun is REALLY high up. It's not too bad when wearing the waist band low, but wearing my belt closer to my belly button makes it really awkwardly high. The top of the grip is pretty much at nipple height with my belt hiked up. Even with the belt low, it's a very bent-arm elbow-up draw. Now, I'm pretty short, but holy cow. This is probably the perfect height for a shoulder-holster draw.So, overall I think it'll meet my needs. If you need something to be super concealed for deep cover, yeah, this is probably a good choice. I need to be semi-active, climbing around in an office environment, and still raise no suspicion. It would be better if it carried lower, but I think it'll get the job done. If you're expecting a close-quarters, physically aggressive, or other confrontation where you don't expect to have much of an element of surprise, keep looking. This is the kind of holster I'd want for a martini soiree, not for a biker bar. I'm not disappointed, but I'm not impressed either. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2pIeWYQ

No comments:

Post a Comment