Thursday, March 16, 2017

Should We Have Handled This Situation Differently?


A few months ago my friend and I both took a trip to a town near the coast in our state. Both he and I are gun owners, have our CCW's, and conceal carry. He does not always carry on him and sometimes just keeps it in the truck (I do not personally agree with this but that is his choice).One night on the trip we were in town and after the sun went down we decided to go back to the house. We needed to get gas so we ended up stopping at a (what looked to be) a very nice gas station in town that was extremely well lit. My friend went inside to put some money down for some gas. When he came out we both stood by the truck and talked as he was filling it up. A little more on the details, the truck is fairly new, was almost completely empty, and has a large tank. After the first few gallons we were approached by a guy who appeared to be homeless and had clearly done drugs (teeth completely messed up and you could just tell by how they looked). Both he and I are immediately on alert but its nothing we have not dealt with before. The guy walks up and starts asking for a ride. My friend refuses and makes up a small story that we are going to pick up some people. Now this is where it gets really sketchy. The man walks up within 3 inches of my friend and continues to beg. At this point I unzip my jacket that I am wearing (still concealed about 4-5 o-clock) and am at the highest state of alert I have ever been. I know that my friends gun is currently in the front console and he is backed up to the truck with no where to go. The man continues to ask and my friend and I continue to say no. Trying to get him to go away I mention that there is no room in the back because we have junk back there and we cant take him. He then steps in between us and looks into the back of the truck with his hands on the window and both my friend and I are at a loss right now not believing what he is doing. My friend and I both take a step or 2 backwards as he does this. As the guy steps away he replies that he needs to go to the bathroom. He walks back into the gas station and heads towards the back. My friend immediately reaches into the truck and grabs his full size glock 21 and shoves it in his front zip up pocket (saying it was printing would be an understatement). We could not leave yet as we had not used all the gas we paid for. As the man walks out my friend has his hand in his front pocket with the gun and I am behind him. The man walks up but stays a few feet back and asks for money. My friend and I both say "sorry we do not carry cash, only cards" the man replies with "thank you" and walks away. Shortly after we finished filling up and drove off.Looking back on it I know we probably should of told him to back up but in the moment you don't always have a clear mind. We also did not want to escalate the situation even further in the beginning. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2nsGRe9

No comments:

Post a Comment