Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Anyone conceal carry and deal with the general public at work? Recipe for increased risk of conflict, how do you mitigate that, or just the nature of the beast?


When I'm not at work I'm polite as heck, throw a smile on my face, accommodating as fuck and avoid any and all conflict. I've been on this planet for a number of years and never ever had a single issue on my free time.I manage a business that deals with the general public and a shit load of people come through my doors. Every once an awhile I have to confront people (staff and customers) over doing something wrong. Sometimes I have to fire customers and staff. I try to be as nice as possible but every once an while you deal with people with anger problems who don't like a staff member telling them they are wrong.My fear has always been an very innocent encounter progresses to physical force. I've had people scream, yell, threaten, and insult me but nobody has ever gotten physical. I always weigh the potential for conflict and violence versus the necessity of having to confront as it's my job.Am I crazy that I sort of look at it like a math problem or are my fears unfounded? More interactions with humans than the general public results in a higher rate of "bad" interactions and of those "bad" interactions a percentage my get physical. Compare this to a person who has an office job and I'd think my risk level is WAY higher.I'm on the shorter and smaller size compared to the US male population and I'm very clean cut. I've always feared I may look "easy" for someone who wants to intimidate me or get physical. It's also been my theory that people are ruder, louder, and more aggressive with workers than a random member of the public because they generally correctly assume the staff person will loose their job if they strike back verbally or physically.I've had formal firearms training (force on force and live fire) as well as martial arts. Is just being good at verbal judo my best option? via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2bT3jmq

No comments:

Post a Comment