Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Very nearly drew on my roommate who doesn't know I carry last night


Posting this here on my throw away because I know certain people know my main account. Wanted to share this even though nothing happened because I feel this can also be a learning opportunityI only just started carrying, barely put my gear on this sub a week ago.I work night shift and don't get off until 4:30-5ish every morning. I typically get home while it's still dark outside and last night was no differentI don't live in the best place but it's all I can afford and it's close to the college I go to. However the neighborhood right next to us has had 5 shootings in the past 2 months so it already has me a little on edge.Last night when I got home I stepped out of my car and walked over to my passenger side to grab some work stuff. As I closed my door I noticed someone SPRINTING towards me and they were coming in fast. There was no doubt who they were running towards. The second I saw this I started stepping back and reaching for my firearm. At the very last second I realized it was my roommate who also works night shift just messing with me.Now before everyone says "he shouldn't have done that" or anything like that, he and I are close and like messing with each other.Some takeaways:->->(1) I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. Always know your target and what lies behind it. If I had drawn I've always had the thought process of "if they don't have a gun don't fire unless they don't back down" and in this case if I had drawn and immediately started shooting, I likely would have killed my roommate. KNOW YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU PULL THE TRIGGER! You cannot unshoot a bullet(2) when I stepped back I didn't check what was behind me. If this had been a real scenario with someone actually coming to do me harm or something, he easily could have been the distraction and someone could have been behind me ready to grab me or hurt me.(3) for some reason I decided to keep the stuff I grabbed from the passenger seat in my hand instead of dropping it when I started reaching for my firearm. I need to instead drop it so I have full control of the situation instead of one handing it.Even though this situation is much different than what gets posted, I hope it can still be a learning moment for some. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2Zl7aS2

No comments:

Post a Comment