Saturday, August 24, 2019

A bizarre close call and a lesson learned


Bit of a long setup on this one, but trust me that it's all pertinent.​Long time CCW'er here. G19 IWB at 4 o'clock in an Aliengear Cloak Tuck, and always carried with one in the chamber. I'm sure we've all seen posts on this sub and others like it about how we manage our guns when dropping a deuce. When I'm away from home my gun never leaves my holster and my holster never leaves my belt. I'm not willing to chance walking away and leaving it in some public restroom by accident, as I'm sure we've all heard anecdotal stories about. When I'm at home, though, and my two older kids aren't around, I've always just withdrawn the gun from the holster and placed it on the counter in front of me until my business is complete, zipped, washed, then reholstered and off I go.The other piece of pertinent information here is than when I met my wife she had a Sphinx cat (that's the hairless variety). For those of you who haven't had firsthand experience with one, they're bizarre little alien creatures, and possibly the most awkward mammals the good lord put on his green earth. Still, my wife doted on the thing, and it started to grow on me after a while. They're friendly like dogs, and I'm a dog guy.So on to the punchline. I'm home with our infant daughter, who's sleeping upstairs in her crib. I enter the downstairs bathroom and place my handgun on the counter preparatory to getting down to business. My having been well trained as a child, the barrel of the Glock is, of course, pointed in a safe direction. As things proceed, I've got my nose buried in my phone of course, browsing Reddit, when I hear a clunk and look up to see that the Sphinx has awkwardly jumped up on the bathroom counter, knocked the gun around so the barrel is pointing roughly in my direction, and her front paw is INSIDE the trigger guard.​I froze, moved out of the line of fire, then said her name and veeeeery slowly reached out and picked her straight up. After a minute, once my heart had restarted, I reholstered and thought very long and very carefully about what had just happened.Guns are tricky, and even though that's the only time I kept a loaded Glock anywhere for any length of time without the trigger guard completely covered, it still nearly bit me badly in the ass. It was sloppy and I got lucky to have a lesson I got out of that easily. It definitely won't happen again.​Also, Sphinxes are weird and may try to kill you. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2NFNkiv

No comments:

Post a Comment