Thursday, August 29, 2019

Had a close call this evening


A 30lb Jack Russel mix came at my dog on our evening walk. Third dog in 3 days I’ve seen off leash roaming my neighborhood. Other two weren’t aggressive, but this one lunged at my dog and tried to bite her. Yanked her back and she wasn’t bleeding so I guess the dog missed. She handled herself very well and did not engage, but I very seriously considered shooting it. Fortunately the dog turned and went home. The owner waved at me from her porch and it took a lot of control to not yell at her to control her animal before it gets itself killed. The dog approached from across the street and almost got hit by a car approaching us. It is illegal in my city to have a dog off leash off of your own property.I worked as a veterinary technician for the last two years and am in the process of reapplying to colleges of veterinary medicine after being “selected as an alternate for admission” (waitlisted) this year. so I probably have a little more patience and ability to read aggressive dogs than your average Joe. I believe this is part of why I was so hesitant to put it down. I do plan on approaching the owner in the near future to calmly express my concern for the animal’s safety and her financial security, as well as explain the legality of the situation. I do not plan to inform her that her dog was seconds from being shot in the street because of her recklessness, but focus more on the possibility of my 70 lb lab killing or injuring her dog, or the dog getting run over.Takeaways:Defensive gun usages are not limited to humansI’m glad I’ve started carrying AIWB primarily I don’t think I would’ve been as quick to react had I been carrying at 4 o’clock as I used to.Very glad the situation diffused without the need to draw and fire. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2HAqchr

No comments:

Post a Comment