Friday, August 30, 2019

On Training and Reactions


Yesterday, I nearly died.I'm licensed for conceal carry in my state, and I strap a 13 round (12+1) Sig P365 on the daily.I was carrying at the time.I thought I'd be ready, mentally, for any situations that might arise where I'd need to defend myself. I practiced drawing. I shot targets. I'm a veteran. But nothing prepared me for the day when a 100+ lb Akita and his buddy found an open gate in their fence and came bounding, literally across the street, out to murder the ever loving hell out of my dog who did nothing but pee on a plant during a walk.Instead of reacting by drawing and putting rounds into these animals that together clearly outmassed my dog and I combined, I threw myself at the bigger of the two and tried to pull it off. Drawing my weapon didn't even cross my mind until I was already in the fray, and by that time the thoughts going through my head were:1) If I let go of this animal, my dog might die.2) Even if that's not the case, I might hit my dog and I'd never forgive myself.3) There are at least four children watching right now. Do I want to scar them by blowing fido's brains out on the pavement?There was too little thinking in the beginning, and there was too much thinking in the middle. I don't know if this is the result of an unexpected situation, something I'd never trained for, or if this is how I'd react to dangerous situations of all types - uncertain of when drawing is appropriate. It's hard to say, as this is the first and only time I've found myself with the need to defend my life and that of a dear pet.How do I make absolutely sure that I act appropriately in the future? I'm lucky that I got away with 13 stitches and five puncture wounds, but that could have easily been my life, or that of my dog. I'm not even sure what stopped the attack.I don't ever want to experience this, or any similarly dangerous situation, again and react the same way. I need advice. Please help. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2NGu8B1

No comments:

Post a Comment