Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Be sure to check that your ammo is in spec


Went to load up my VP9 once my holster for it came in the other day. Loaded up both of my carry mags with the Federal HST 147 Gr. that I normally carry in my 9mm's, and went to chamber a round and didn't notice anything. No issues right? I go to press check to confirm the round in the chamber before I put it in the holster, and the slide gets stuck right as the barrel is unlocking and dipping down. Dropped the mag and racked the slide pretty hard, managing to eject the round. Put a different round in the chamber from the same box, and it had the same problem. Went through about 15 rounds, and decided just to leave it and take my old trusty USP40c since I had to run out the door.Get home, start trying to figure it out, and a live round gets stuck in the chamber and the slide won't budge. Managed to pop it out by using the ledge on the sight and a block of wood, with a 5 gallon bucket of sand directly beneath the muzzle just in case. Round popped out. I decided to grab another box of HST 147 Gr. I had lying around, and it didn't have a single issue with that box, the box I had grabbed earlier was just out of spec. I expect that the projectiles were either seated too shallow, or the case length was just a tad long. I had run about 150 rounds of this ammo through the gun before to confirm it worked since some guns don't like the 147 Gr., and it had worked fine.Moral of the story: be sure to function check with the specific box of ammo you are going to be using, make sure it properly goes into battery and cycles properly without hanging up. If I had to use this, it may not have cycled or I may have had other issues. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2UibZec

No comments:

Post a Comment