Friday, August 30, 2019

Questions about when to draw on someone on your property, but not in the home.


I have been making an effort to learn more and more about when it is appropriate to draw a weapon and when it is not, and I'd like to ask a couple of questions. There are a few scenarios in particular that have happened on my property that got me into gun ownership for self defense.We have had issues with people and animals in our backyard. This is in a neighborhood. The backyard is fenced in with a privacy fence and the gates are locked. Now, obviously if someone breaks in and I see them in the backyard, I'm just going to call the police and let them handle it. If, however, I hear a noise or something and want to go check it out, at what point can I draw my firearm? If I have it concealed and find someone armed, would I be within my rights to draw and/or fire? What if they are armed, but not with a firearm? This is in SC, and there is no retreat requirement, but I'm still interested in what is best practice.I am not interested in being a hero, but I am also not interested in being the victim of a crime.I had a similar situation which I feel like I handled well. I was cleaning some fireworks trash out of my driveway late at night (it was Fourth of July) when a strange car pulls up in front of my house and turns off the lights, but leaves the engine running. The driver is staring me down. I had my firearm in my pocket. I did not draw it, but I did put my hand on it. I took a defensive stance and slowly backed away towards my house. He seemed to get the hint and drove off. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/30LdUdn

No comments:

Post a Comment