Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Don't fly out of NYC with a firearm


(posting from mobile as I sit in the airport so excuse and grammer/spelling)So after doing a bit of research on transporting firearms across state lines and CC Laws in each state I would be passing through I decided to bring my pistol on a cross country road trip to help move my GF from California to Brooklyn, New York.All was well and good until it comes time to say goodbye in NY and fly out of LGA. Pistol is unloaded and locked in a knockoff pelican case in my checked baggage. I declare the pistol at the counter and the guy asks me if I'm police or military.... Why that should matter is beyond me but I informed him that I am in fact in the Navy and he says OK the officer will be over shortly to take down my information and send me on my way. WTF!? Why am I about to talk to a police officer and why does it matter if I am in the military? Police officer comes over and asks me for my travel orders stating that I would have a firearm. "Uh sir I just finished a cross country road trip with my GF and I am just flying back to CA, this isn't a business trip. I don't have orders and I don't understand why I would need them. I am flying back home with my firearm I transported according to federal law and TSA guidelines." This guy then proceeded to tell me that" since I am military he won't hassle me and he will let me through but if his Supervisor comes over that I will probably be arrested for unlawful possession of a firearm." Again, WTF!? So after I get my bag through security and he says I'm good I pulled him aside and asked him why I would be arrested if I am following federal law regarding transporting firearms and flying with them. His response was "well in NY we don't follow the same laws and its kind of a Grey area and that I shouldn't bring any firearms in NY again".How the fuck is this even legal? From what I understand from my experience they can just arrest you for following federal law that clearly states that you can transport firearms across state lines and then you just have to litigate your way out of it? The cop didn't even seem clear on what laws he was enforcing. It seemed to me like he was just under orders to arrest anyone with a firearm at the airport whether they were legally transporting it or not.So my advice to anyone planning on flying out of NY with a firearm is to have someone drive you to PA and fly out there. If you aren't police or military you might have a much worse experience than me.If anyone can clear up why I had this problem then please do but I am under the impression that I did everything correctly. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2MwjaOG

No comments:

Post a Comment